Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The American Student's Playlist

I was in the iTunes store moments ago when I noticed an advertisement for Demi Lovato's playlist. I'll admit: even though I'm in college, I'm a huge Demi Lovato fan. As I browsed through her playlist, though, I have to confess I felt slightly worthless. It made me feel unimportant because I know for one thing iTunes would never ask me to construct a ten-song playlist for them, because no one knows who I am. For another thing, even if I were to somehow put my own ten-song playlist on iTunes, no one would care about my opinion on the songs. I'm a nobody, just a completely average college student. Then I remembered that I had this handy blog. Even though barely anyone reads it (if anyone at all), I'm going to post my own ten-song playlist here. I highly doubt my opinion will cause any sales increases for any particular artists, but I want my opinion to be heard. So here we go, my ten favorite songs and reasons for it:

(note: this only includes songs I actually own, not songs I like and don't own)

(note again: this is in alphabetical order because that's how my iTunes favorites playlist is organized)

1. Have You Ever: American Juniors -- I never get tired of this song. The lyrics are so emotional and the musical complements the emotion of the song so well. I love it.

2. October: Eric Whitacre -- I like band music like this. A lot. I played this song in high school, and when we played it the director told us how you can hear the leaves being blown across an open field under a gray sky. It's true. The music creates unbelievable imagery in this song. Some of Whitacre's music is kind of out there, a little too contemporary for my personal tastes, but this song is my all time favorite band song. It's so beautiful I want to cry.

3. Now or Never: High School Musical 3 Soundtrack -- I'm obsessed with high school basketball. That should explain this enough.

4. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room: John Mayer -- Credit goes to Wade Robson for introducing me to this song though So You Think You Can Dance season 4 with Katee and Josh's routine to this song. AMAZING. Again, the emotion as displayed through the lyrics and music is unparalleled. John Mayer has some great music, but this is probably my favorite song of his.

5. Before the Storm: Jonas Brothers feat. Miley Cyrus -- I don't know how you could not love this song. For one thing, it's such a personal look into the lives of two extremely famous teenagers that it makes you feel like you know them. For another thing, it's just a great song. Period. Lines, Vines, and Trying Times is the Jonas Brothers' best album so far in my opinion, and this is the best track on the album.

6. Simple Song: Miley Cyrus -- I love the message of this song. I often feel like we as Americans get so caught up in the go go go of our society, the need to keep moving, keep working, keep progressing, never slowing down, never stopping, just working working working until the day we fall over dead from exhaustion. I, for one, believe it's absolutely imperative that we slow down, disconnect, relax, and breathe. This song speaks to that.

7. Come Home: OneRepublic -- I know I'm beginning to sound redundant, but the emotion in this song is so incredible. The simple accompaniment works so well with this song. Plus, Ryan Tedder is a lyrical genius. I also love the fact that the album name came from a little line in the last song of the album. That's just so creative to me.

8. All Over You: The Spill Canvas -- It usually takes me awhile to really, really love a song. I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it on the radio. I can relate to this song so much it feels like it's my life story.

9. Sí, Te Amo: Taxi Amarillo -- I download the Canción de la Semana every week on iTunes in a futile effort to make myself understand Spanish. I speak Spanish, but I'm not fluent, and my hope is that exposing myself to music in Spanish will help with that. So far I've been pretty unsuccessful, but oh well. However, every now and again iTunes puts out a real gem, and this certainly was one of them. Easily my favorite Canción de la Semana. The melody, the lyrics, (the fact that I understand it), everything about this song is so beautiful and wonderful. Me encanta :)

10. Crazier: Taylor Swift -- If anyone ever does a waltz to this song, I just might die of happiness. This song is so beautiful and full of love that you can't help but smile when you hear it. I know a lot of the SYTYCD choreographers are too purist to do a good waltz to a Taylor Swift song, but I still have hope.

So there you have it, my playlist. Like I said, I don't know if this will turn anyone on to any particular song or artist they might not have listened to in the first place, but it's worth a shot. If you happen to read this and find a new favorite song because of this, a comment would mean the world to me. Or even a little profile view. It's quick, anonymous, and makes me feel good about myself because I know someone has read my blog, and that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment